Thursday, October 6, 2016

Disney Firsts


Yay Disney firsts!  In one weekend, I got to experience the Epcot Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.  Both of which were awesome. I'm also at the point where there aren't a whole lot of rides/experiences that I haven't done before, so I really appreciated getting to do something new.

First up: Food and Wine. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, all of the eleven countries (plus the Africa Outpost) in the World Showcase have special food and alcoholic offerings for the event, and there are additional kiosks with other countries.  The festival is running this year from the middle of September to the middle of November. The "extra" countries/areas include Poland, Australia, the Isles of the Caribbean, a chocolate stand, a dessert and wine place and basically a lot of deliciousness. There are only two vegan options, so I was able to try them both on the night I went.  The first was from Greece: a loaded nachos plate with pita chips, vegan cheese, vegan tzatziki sauce, and vegan meat. It was quite yummy. 
Loaded vegan nachos
Next up was a vegan Korean barbecue option from the South Korea stand. It had rice, barbecue sauce, kimchi cucumbers, and "beef" tips.  It was also quite yummy, though I preferred the nachos.
Korean BBQ
Friends! (Maggie, Tami and Julia)
Probably my favorite part of the whole evening was just the atmosphere though. The food was delicious, but there was also just a feeling of everyone hanging out and trying new things and experiencing different cultures. We were also there before too many people were too drunk, so that was good too. 

Next up: Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. This is a special event that happens on select nights in September and October at Magic Kingdom. It's from 7pm-midnight, and there are special characters, a special parade and fireworks show, and trick or treating. Erin and I went as Remy (the rat) and Linguini (the cook) from Ratatouille.  That in itself might have been my favorite part of the night, because we were the only ones I saw with that costume.  And everywhere we went throughout the park, we heard people around us saying, "Look at Ratatouille!"  It was awesome. 

Right when we got there we got in line to meet Mickey.  It's really cool because he's a talking Mickey, so he interacts with you and isn't like a normal non-face character.
Remy and Linguini!
"What is a ghost bunny's favorite food?"
"Scarrots!"
There's a special castle show that's Hocus Pocus based, so the Sanderson Sisters come out with a whole bunch of Disney villains. There's a song with Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog and Oogie Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and then a lot of villains just come out and sing together. It was fantastic. 
The Hocus Pocus show
We also met Jack Sparrow, a character who's not normally out to meet. He was awesome and 100% what I wanted him to be. Right before we met him, I asked him "Where's the rum?" and he told me that they always put him in a dry port.
He was confused by my "sword"
He also told me that I probably didn't want to cross swords with a pirate, especially as a mouse. When I told him I was a rat, he told me I was just a rodent. 

Erin and I went to get ice cream before the fireworks. I got chocolate tofutti with peanut butter sauce, and it was delicious. Super exciting to have such a yummy vegan treat.
Nom nom nom
We were a little close to the castle for the fireworks show, but it was still wonderful.  They set off perimeter fireworks, so it was across a wider range and they were Halloween-themed. The show is normally Wishes, and for the party it's Hallowishes.  Lots of fun.
I love the castle
The special parade for the event is officially titled "Mickey's Boo-To-You Halloween Parade" and it features a bunch of not commonly seen characters too. Including the hyenas from The Lion King and Vanellope von Schweetz from Wreck-It Ralph.  Also really fun.
Halloween Minnie!
Last part of the night to mention: they had allergy-friendly candy options, which meant that I could get candy. For vegans, they had rice milk chocolate, vegan gummies, jelly beans, and cookies. And they didn't skimp: I came home with a whole box of Enjoy Life cookies.  That was really cool, and very much appreciated. 

Other photos:

With other explorers!
Roomies! Sorry for it being sideways
Again, sorry it's sideways.  But one of our photos in front of the castle
Overall, the Halloween party was a blast. I'm very glad I was down here and got to experience it with friends :)
A lovely Halloween night

No comments:

Post a Comment